Thursday 14 August 2014

DIY skirt (super easy) from a kurti

I have this beautiful kurti (Indian clothing) It is the most beautiful green i have seen (*-*) My relative (sister really) gave it to me. We were really close before she got married.


Just look at the detailing on the top portion of this kurti <3 so intricate.


Even though the detailing of this kurti is really nice but there is a lot i don't like in it. I didn't like the crinkled look it has, for one. The detailing on the top part is really nice but it looks droopy over my shoulder and 'heavy'. I thought about cutting the shoulders a bit, to make it fit me, but the detailing was all over my shoulder. So it wouldn't work. (._.;) That's the problem with my frame, even though things might look good at first but they don't look so good on me. -_- That's what you get for being small, but there are more pros than cons in having a petite frame :D I might make a post about this, but for now, lets concentrate here. I wanted to make it wearable, and skirt seemed like the most 'appropriate' option because there were a lot of darts (at the bottom) to make it flowy.

Steps:

1. The first step was to cut it to an appropriate length. For that, i just held it infront of my body and placed it accordingly. I also added 1" for waistband and 1" for hemming.

2. As much as i love the brown-ish velvet-y lace at the bottom of the kurti, it just wouldn't work in the skirt. So i used a seam ripper and removed it.

3. I ironed it to 'remove' the crinkling it had. (It took a lot of effort to make it smooth)

4. I hemmed the bottom.

5. I measured my waist using elastic (so as to know how snug i want it to be). Add an inch and sew the ends together.

6. I placed my elastic band over the skirt's top and fold it over. And then, i started sewing around the edges. Don't sew over the elastic.

And this is how my new skirt looked. I have never been a skirt's person. :D But i want to start wearing them. :)


Nice, isn't it?
I hope you liked it. :)
Thanks for reading and please leave a comment :)

Love,
Prerna

No comments:

Post a Comment