Saturday 26 July 2014

Lace cardigan (Easy)

I am a big fan of pinterest. It has everything you can ask for. :D I once saw this lace cardigan and instantly fell in love with it <3

The one i saw.

 It looks so feminine and comfortable but it was quite price-y so i thought about making one. I found this beautiful lace and thought it would be perfect for my DIY project. The fabric has a bit of stretch to it so it might be difficult for a beginner to sew.

 My friend deleted all images so i have none to show you how i actually made it. T_T But i will try my best to tell you how i made it :)

My version.
Steps:

1. First of all i took my measurements, let-
  • Sleeve length - a"
  • Arm hole (it should be not too tight or loose) - b"
  • Length of cardigan - c"
  • Shoulder to shoulder - d"
  • Shoulder to neck - e"
2.  Cut out pieces-
  • The back piece should be of size d+3" X c"+1". If you need to hem it then add 1" to c. I didn't need to do it.
  • There will be 2 front pieces of size e+3" X c"+1". Again add another inch for hemming if needed.
  • And 2 sleeves of same size b+1" X a"+1". Add 1" to a for hemming. my sleeves did not have any curved shape, i just cut in a straight line.
3. Sewing-
  • And what i basically did was sew the shoulder of the 2 front pieces to the single back piece (right sides together). It took a lot of trial and error to get it right so be patient. And if you don't understand something then ask me.
  • Sew the sleeves to the main piece (right sides together).
  • Sew all the sides together.

4. The fourth step includes hemming all the raw edges. I only needed to hem the front pieces :D

And voila, you have your own lace cardigan :D It is a bit difficult project for beginner as the fabric is lace which is stretchy. But i have seen that it was a really forgiving fabric.

Some tips:
1. Cut bigger as you can always make it smaller later on.
2. Hand sew it first it will A LOT. It doesn't have to be perfect.
3. Use paper below the fabric for sewing. It makes sewing it easier. Just pull the paper to remove it.

I hope you liked it :) If so, please leave a comment.
Thanks for reading.

Love,
Prerna

No comments:

Post a Comment